BT Senior Network Designer in Ipswich, United Kingdom
Senior Network Designer
London or Ipswich
Our purpose is to use the power of communications to make a better world. For each other, for our customers, for society and our communities. We need you to help us do this.
Why this role matters
The purpose of the role is to design, validate and deliver network solutions in support of a range of BT voice platforms using complex network components. These designs will provide voice peering to external customer networks or enhancements for customer solutions.
What you'll be doing
Specifically this role is accountable for:
• Design and design validation for IP Voice Infrastructure network components to deliver Standout Customer Service and Effortless Experience Managing peer reviews and providing sign off authority on designs associated with complex network components within network platforms and/or customer solutions
• Providing expert technical consulting to customers, suppliers and stakeholders to support new deployments and resolution of live incidents.
• May lead a small matrix (virtual) team of technical experts to deliver network design solutions and provide technical leadership. The sphere of influence for the matrix team will be from a technical perspective only.
• Deciding on the design scope and design of a complex component of the network platform and/or customer solution, and estimating the time and type of resource needed to support the deliverable,
• Driving efficiency and scalability through the re-use (Most competitive network)
• Produce standardised designs in all key areas of the specific network design domain, as well as develop non-standard solutions and routines in some areas in response to customer demand.
• Develop the design scope for more complex end-to-end and inter-working network design activities.
• Set up network models for design testing.
• Provide design support and information on down streaming feature enhancements and/or component design to a range of stakeholders where appropriate, including operations, systems and customers.
• Collaborate with more senior network engineers to resolve implementation and live network issues with suppliers and other designers.
• Document and deliver training and coaching of less experienced team members
• Contribute to design tools development, where appropriate.
• Actively participate in a Continuous Improvement culture
• Identify opportunities to follow best design practice.
• To keep up to date with emerging technologies and enhance learning.
We'll also need to see these on your CV
You will become part of a collaborative team producing IP designs interfacing BT voice platforms to customers using 21C, MPLS and Ethernet for UK & Global voice platforms.
The role requires a strong understanding of routing and switching as well as BT WAN technologies. The ideal candidate would have experience of configuring both Cisco and Juniper devices using BGP to CCNP/JNCIS level. Programming or experience in database development would be an advantage.
A keen willingness to learn is essential. Hands-on experience validating the designs you produce will cement your learning in a safe and supportive environment.
Why choose us?
We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. We’re creating an inclusive working culture where people from all backgrounds can succeed. That’s why we welcome applications from all parts of the community.
Job: IT, Systems and Security
Title: Senior Network Designer
Location: GBR %26 Ireland-GBR-Suffolk-Ipswich
Requisition ID: 92552