BT Software Developer / ASG Technician in Ipswich, United Kingdom
Software Developer / ASG Technician
Location - Ipswich
Our purpose is to use the power of communications to make a better world. For each other, for our customers, for society and our communities. We need you to help us do this.
Why this role matters
To plan, implement and maintain a smart technical infrastructure to support the organisation’s business processes through the use of mature technical skills to diagnose and resolve technical failures and carry out support and maintenance tasks on our platforms.
By using the power of communication this role is designed to improve the customer’s experience by transforming legacy reactive behaviours into proactive resolution of incidents and automated maintenance.
What you'll be doing
• It will be your responsibility to ensure that live applications continue to operate to their agreed levels of performance and availability.
• Support for major strategic applications, involving diagnosis of the root cause to complex problems, applying fixes and live deployments.
• Proactively identifying opportunities to automate the maintenance of our operational support systems by means of software tools that you will build, test and maintain. You will be supported by a local software development team to implement your tools and develop your skills.
• Must able to lend yourself to a mix of technical support and process automation using your software engineering skills. You should know how to write code that builds upon existing open source tools to solve problems automatically.
• There is degree of flexibility in the technologies that can be used, but knowledge of operating systems, modern languages and frameworks is expected. You’ll need to be open-minded but pragmatic – recognising the constraints of the resources available, and the need to evolve long-term solutions.
• To be able to work well in a team, but also be a self-starter that can learn on the job and own large pieces of work. You will also be able to work well with those that you support. You will be positive and proactive, and be a keen learner who really wants to make a difference to the business.
We'll also need to see these on your CV
• Linux / Unix / Windows
• Shell scripting (e.g. Bash, PowerShell)
• Programming (e.g. Java, Ruby, Python)
• Version control (e.g. Subversion/Git)
• Active software engineer who produces well designed and maintainable code
• Agile development methodologies
Why choose us?
We’ve always been an organisation with purpose; to use the power of communications to make a better world. You can trace this back to our beginning as pioneers of the world’s first telecommunications company. At our heart, we’re a technology company with research and innovation in our bones, and a desire to be personal, simple, and brilliant for our customers. Those are the values we live by. Creating an inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds can succeed.
Our pursuit of progress over the past 180 years has established BT as a strong, successful brand, with huge scale, capable of achieving great things. From supporting emergency services, hospitals, banks and keeping economies around the world online, safe, and secure. To delivering large scale technology infrastructure like the creation of BT Sport.
Today, in this fast changing, always on, digital world, our purpose remains true. Yet the market conditions, regulation and competition we face are tougher than ever before. So if you have the drive, optimism, and resilience to help propel us forward, we’ll offer unrivalled personal development, a wealth of opportunities to learn, experience new things, and pursue new careers. If that’s you, and what you’re looking for. We’d love you to be part of our future.
We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. We’re creating an inclusive working culture where people from all backgrounds can succeed. That’s why we welcome applications from all parts of the community.
To Be Defined
Title: Software Developer / ASG Technician
Location: GBR %26 Ireland-GBR-Suffolk-Ipswich
Requisition ID: 96021