BT C-Level Finance - Fibre Business Partner in London, United Kingdom
Head of Finance – Fibre Business Partner
London or Leeds
Our purpose is to use the power of communications to make a better world. For each other, for our customers, for society and our communities. We need you to help us do this.
Why this role matters
Openreach, part of BT Group, provides the capability for over 500 Communications Providers to provide service, broadband and data services to consumers and businesses across the UK. Our network covers 30 million customers and 8 million broadband lines from approximately 5,500 local exchanges.
We need leaders who will size the growth opportunity on offer, to transform the cost base and the way in which we operate to ensure slicker delivery, faster throughput of work on our contracts, a more reliable and predictable delivery on time and a better customer experience for our customers and their customers.
• A critical financial business partnering role, reporting to the Finance Director for FND. FND is the business unit within Openreach responsible for the delivery of all network build programmes and contracts across Openreach for residential and business customers, which plays an essential role in building Britain’s connected future.
• The Regional Finance Business Partner will be accountable for the financial control and stewardship of operational budgets of >£250m Revenue and >£125m EBITDA and will consume capital expenditure of >£350m across the region which will need to deliver against agreed physicals commitments.
• Responsible for delivery of the strategic Fibre Cities (“Fibre First”) programme in the region, delivering full fibre connections to homes and businesses.
• The role holder will demonstrate strong control and analytical thinking, and have overall responsibility and accountability for financial forecasting, planning, reporting actuals, management accounts and analysis of the unit.
• Accountable for leading the budgetary and financial control activities on behalf of the FND delivery unit.
• Role holder will need to drive pull best practice across the four regions in to their region, whilst fostering and enabling an entrepreneurial flair and local ownership.
• Will have direct people management responsibility for a team of finance professionals
• Will operate in a highly complex environment with very high risk (potential financial or commercial impact, business unit/LOB level visibility, potential reputational impact)
What you'll be doing
The Regional Finance Business Partner will be responsible for business partnering the regional Director and leading a team that business partners at different levels across the FND business, he/she is specifically accountable for:
• Setting the direction of the regional unit, balancing the delivery of service levels with cost of delivery and supporting the development of future operating frameworks and driving transformation activities to improve efficiency of operations.
• Financial accountability, control and stewardship over £250m Revenue and £125m EBITDA and will consume capital expenditure of >£350m.
• Responsible for interlocking and delivery with the Major Programme and Customer team for c350m Capital expenditure. Accountable for delivery of physical commitments on capital spent, at agreed efficiency levels.
• Responsible for delivery of the strategic Fibre Cities (“Fibre First”) programme in the region, delivering full fibre connections to homes and businesses. Managing strategic roll out plans, build cost, innovation in build and transformation of our cost base.
• Assurance and risk management – role holder expected to control risks and opportunities across regional P&L, actively (i) mitigating risks, (ii) driving opportunities, (iii) driving profit protection initiatives.
• Deliver transformation in to and across the regions, as interlocked with the Business and Network optimisation team. This includes c50% of desk TLR over MTP.
• Driving creation of quarterly forecasts and annual budget.
• Responsible for control on key business risks and controls in the regional P&Ls, including (i) BDUK – ensuring ability to accurately report and charge BDUK through sufficient controls in the regions, (ii) Deemed consent, (iii) Excess construction charges.
• Manage and run the month end for the P&Ls.
• Responsible for a team of c2-3 FTE who are responsible for providing analysis and delivering insight that links financial reports to business strategies, providing effective commercial procedures, production of monthly financial accounts, key accounting judgements.
• Manage the formation of the new FND unit, bringing together existing BCD, ID and Fibre Cities units in to the region. Manage the financial implications of the business change to FND.
We'll also need to see these on your CV
Specific skills and experience includes:
Experience of positively influencing business performance by using data, commentary and analysis to inform decision making.
A true customer champion, with an ability to truly influence customer experience, demonstrating real customer empathy in everything they do
Strategic thinker with proven experience driving daily concepts to deliver longer term vision with the ability to cut through barriers to bring real clarity and focus to delivering for our customers
Pragmatic team player, adept at holding others to account through a challenging and supportive leadership style, whilst consistently delivering on their own commitments
An ability to matrix-manage cross-business teams to complex and multi-phase solutions (across technology, commercial, product and process design, network design and build).
Advisor and coach to others both within own team and elsewhere, formulates their operational guidelines or in-depth knowledge and advises on specialist area
Financial authority on new business opportunities and investments. Personally accountable for all business unit costs/revenue performance and business results
Drives judicious use of resources to maximise productivity and drive cost efficiency and instrumental in driving expansion of margins
Sponsors/guides the planning, facilitation and completion local finance programmes
Sets agendas, identifies opportunities and promotes the highest standards of best practice and provides insight on finance work area(s) or specialism
Why choose us?
Openreach is Britain’s digital network business. We’re a wholly owned and independently governed subsidiary of the BT Group. We’re over 30,000 people who connect homes, mobile phone masts, schools, shops, banks, hospitals, libraries, broadcasters, governments and businesses - large and small - to the world.
Our mission is to build the best possible network, with the highest quality service, making sure that everyone in Britain can be connected. We work on behalf of more than 590 communications providers like SKY, TalkTalk, Vodafone, and BT, and our fibre broadband network is the biggest in the UK, passing more 27.4 million premises. We’re also the platform for Britain’s thriving digital economy, which is the largest in the G20. We have an ambitious plan to deliver the better service, broader coverage and faster speeds that our customers are demanding of us. We continue to make superfast broadband speeds available to thousands of homes and businesses every week and we’re now embarking on the next big infrastructure build of our generation. We’ll be building ultrafast Fibre to the Premises technology to three million premises by the end of 2020, and we have an ambition to reach 10 million by the mid-2020’s under the right conditions.
Openreach remains an important part of BT but being more independent and treating customers equally is how Openreach contributes to the success of the Group.
We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. Diversity makes sense for us, our customers and our ambitions. We’re creating an inclusive working culture where people from all backgrounds can succeed. That’s why we welcome applications from all parts of the community.
Title: C-Level Finance - Fibre Business Partner
Location: GBR %26 Ireland-GBR-London-London
Requisition ID: 102236
Other Locations: UK %26 Ireland-United Kingdom-West Yorkshire-Leeds