BT Career Level B - Director of Engineering in London, United Kingdom
Director of Engineering
Our purpose is to use the power of communications to make a better world. For each other, for our customers, for society and our communities. We need you to help us do this.
Why this role matters
You will be accountable for developing the Engineering approach to the Network and Fibre roll out strategy, championing the development of industry-leading Fibre policies, standards and practices and bringing innovative practices and tools to Openreach to drive cost efficiency, quality and certainty of delivery.
You will be the voice of Engineering, leading the development of the Engineering capability across Openreach and shaping the skills and training of our workforce.
What you'll be doing
• Owns and develops Openreach engineering strategy, policies, standards and processes.
• Accountable for the Technical Design Authority, research and development of industry-leading Fibre policies, standards and practices.
• Influencing business strategy through delivery of new technologies and best practice, to improve skills and capabilities of the engineers.
• Setting and developing the test and diagnostics strategy.
• Leading and driving Front Door activities for Chief Engineer, ensuring new product lines are effectively supported from an Engineering perspective with engineering expertise.
• Leading and managing strategic engagement with suppliers for all network components, tools, and cables to drive better value for money and forecasting.
• Strategic advisor to Chief Engineer and Exec Board, providing the engineering framework, resources and practices to support delivery of Fibre Cities and BDUK programmes.
• Owning leadership of ITT/business case development as required, and all technical/ network architecture changes.
• Owning engineering accreditation standards and quality standards for the Openreach network.
• Owns all technical ISIS documentation for the network.
• Delivering FEN technical content and “Ask the Chief” work streams.
• Leading development of the Openreach Engineering community.
• Developing industry-leading engineering policies, standards and practices across OR.
• Bringing innovation that will improve operational performance across CE, FND and SD.
• Launching and embedding of specific innovations e.g. ODF - moving OSS from tactical to strategic fix.
• Working with FND to optimise the network design through engineering innovations to achieve £50m pa savings.
• Leading the adoption of new technology for Fibre Cities e.g. mobile planning, automated job pack creation.
We'll also need to see these on your CV
• Has senior strategic understanding and be technically competent in understanding the Openreach’s network and the products used to connect our customers, gained through a senior technology or engineering leadership position typically director level.
• Significant expertise in engineering practice with a proven track record in developing industry-leading engineering policies, standards and practices, both existing and new innovative technologies.
• Strategic thinker with proven experience driving daily concepts to deliver longer term vision. Ability to influence business strategy through delivery of new technologies and best practice.
• Will demonstrate experience and competency in the ability to successfully mitigate risks, with key experience in implementing strategic best practice and following strict governance procedures.
• Will be able to evidence demonstrable experience in Technical Design Authority process including research and development of industry-leading Fibre policies, standards and practices to put Openreach at the forefront of Fibre network delivery.
Why choose us?
Openreach is Britain’s digital network business. We’re a wholly owned and independently governed subsidiary of the BT Group. We’re over 30,000 people who connect homes, mobile phone masts, schools, shops, banks, hospitals, libraries, broadcasters, governments and businesses - large and small - to the world.
Our mission is to build the best possible network, with the highest quality service, making sure that everyone in Britain can be connected. We work on behalf of more than 590 communications providers like SKY, TalkTalk, Vodafone, and BT, and our fibre broadband network is the biggest in the UK, passing more 27.4 million premises. We’re also the platform for Britain’s thriving digital economy, which is the largest in the G20. We have an ambitious plan to deliver the better service, broader coverage and faster speeds that our customers are demanding of us. We continue to make superfast broadband speeds available to thousands of homes and businesses every week and we’re now embarking on the next big infrastructure build of our generation. We’ll be building ultrafast Fibre to the Premises technology to three million premises by the end of 2020, and we have an ambition to reach 10 million by the mid-2020’s under the right conditions.
Openreach remains an important part of BT but being more independent and treating customers equally is how Openreach contributes to the success of the Group.
We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. Diversity makes sense for us, our customers and our ambitions. We’re creating an inclusive working culture where people from all backgrounds can succeed. That’s why we welcome applications from all parts of the community.
Job: Engineering operations
Title: Career Level B - Director of Engineering
Location: GBR %26 Ireland-GBR-London-London
Requisition ID: 104264