BT Finance Manager, FND Capex Controller in London, United Kingdom
Why this role matters
Openreach is Britain’s digital network business. We’re a wholly owned and independently governed subsidiary of the BT Group.
We’re over 30,000 people who connect homes, mobile phone masts, schools, shops, banks, hospitals, libraries, broadcasters, governments and businesses - large and small - to the world.
Our mission is to build the best possible network, with the highest quality service, making sure that everyone in Britain can be connected. We work on behalf of more than 590 communications providers like SKY, TalkTalk, Vodafone, and BT, and our fibre broadband network is the biggest in the UK, passing more 27.4 million premises. We’re also the platform for Britain’s thriving digital economy, which is the largest in the G20.
We have an ambitious plan to deliver the better service, broader coverage and faster speeds that our customers are demanding of us. We continue to make superfast broadband speeds available to thousands of homes and businesses every week and we’re now embarking on the next big infrastructure build of our generation. We’ll be building ultrafast Fibre to the Premises technology to three million premises by the end of 2020, and we have an ambition to reach 10 million by the mid-2020s under the right conditions.
Openreach remains an important part of BT but being more independent and treating customers equally is how Openreach contributes to the success of the Group.
· Part of the Financial Controller team, the Capex controller role will report to C Level – FND Financial Controller
· FND is the business unit within Openreach responsible for the delivery of all network build programmes and contracts across Openreach for residential and business customers, which plays an essential role in building Britain’s connected future. This unit builds and maintains the infrastructure that our CPs serve their customers from. This covers customer driven Ethernet provision for services to public (schools, hospital, and defence), CP fixed and mobile networks and large corporate customers everywhere across the UK. Infrastructure programmes such as Fire Cities (critical programme to underpin Openeach’s FTTP ambition). Additionally, FND remain the delivery arm supporting Government investments (BDUK, SEP, Universal Broadband Coverage heavily covered in all major party manifestos) for which the UK depends on.
· D Level role accountable for the financial control and stewardship of operational budgets of £0.8bn Revenue and £0.3bn Opex, and will consume capital expenditure of £1.2bn. The business unit has 11k FTE direct labour and also employs c3k FTE indirect labour with third party partners.
· The role holder will demonstrate strong analytical thinking and have responsibility and accountability for Capex financial reporting, forecasting, planning and analysis of FND within Openreach
· Responsible for Legal/fiduciary accountability and personally accountable for accounting, control and governance issues.
· Will operate in a highly complex environment with high risk (potential financial or commercial impact, business unit/LOB level visibility, potential reputational impact)
What I’ll be doing
As Capex Controller for FND the role holder will be responsible for reporting on revenue, costs (internal and external) and EBITDA and will be specifically accountable for:
· Delivery of Capex financials (no shocks)
· Delivery of the Capex process within FND covering weekly, monthly, quarterly and forecast timescales. Leading on review with centre for the P&L
· Capex PVEO and alignment with transformation / Central Capex Storyboard
· Delivery of demonstrable business improvements under “smash the budget” workstream
· Producing the National Capex storyboard for FND across month-end and forecast, ensuring consistency of messaging, alignment to operational metrics and financial drivers, and change control.
· Central capex programme ownership
· Production of Quarterly Business Review (QBR) material as necessary
· Ensuring delivery of quality half-yearly forecast submissions and 5 year Medium Term Plan
· Central point of challenge to the regional, programme and partner Mgt teams on Capex impacting items. Management of a robust and high quality risk and opportunities process that adds healthy tension to the business. The intent to which is to drive the ability to make high calibre decisions for opportunities of investment and/or cost control.
· Providing value added regional insight to support regional and programme targets
· Working closely with programme team to comprehend drivers and risks and opportunities
· Ensuring integrity of monthly financial statements, working closely with Openreach, BT Group and OFCOM (as required) and ensuring quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting
· Will be responsible for leading the development of business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
· Thorough understanding of the business, including understanding levers and drivers of cost
The skills & experience you need
To be successful in this role you will need:
· Ability to set long term budgets and forecasts
· A background in financial planning, reporting, analysis, consolidations and systems
· Pragmatic team player, adept at holding others to account through a challenging and supportive style, whilst consistently delivering on their own commitments
· An ability to manage multiple stakeholders and projects, working to tight deadlines
· An expert in their field with experience
· An ability to matrix-manage cross-business teams to complex and multi-phase solutions (across technology, commercial, product and process design, network design and build).
· Ability to manage ambiguity
· Experience of mitigating risks, implanting best practice and following strict governance procedures
· Advisor and coach to others both within own team and elsewhere, formulates their operational guidelines or in-depth knowledge and advises on specialist area
· Leads, champions and manages conflicting priorities
Data Management and Analysis
Business Case Development
Budgeting and Cost Management
· Bachelor’s degree in business or related field (or equivalent experience)
· Fully qualified accountant / Further qualification to support specialism with significant PQE (.e.g. CIMA, ACCA, IIA, CISA, ACT, CTA, MCT, IR Society Certificate or equivalent)
Bold decision maker
These are our values, they show us the right thing to do
We are all connected by our shared values; Personal, Simple and Brilliant. How we do things is just as important as what we do.
Everyone should be guided by our values. If you are leader, you will need to understand and demonstrate the Connected Leaders behaviours which you can find on the BT Intranet.
Other things you need to know
To protect yourself, your colleagues, our customers and BT, you must follow:
· Our ethics code, The Way We Work ;
· The Undertakings code of practice (which contains important rules about BT's promises to Ofcom);
· Our regulatory, fair trading, competition, data protection, environmental and anti-corruption and bribery policies;
· Our security policies;
· Our standards of behaviour policy;
· Our health and safety policy; and
· BT Business continuity management policy framework directive.
You have an important role in maintaining customer trust and helping BT to do business with integrity. Because working ethically is so important you must follow all laws and BT policies and procedures in the course of your employment. I f you have any questions or are unclear o n what any of our policies mean, just talk to your manager .
You can find all our policies and procedures on the BT intranet (or from your manager) – it’s up to you to keep up to date with them, including your mandatory training, and ensure you fully understand what they mean for you in your day-to-day work. If you don’t do this or if you breach any of our policies, you could face disciplinary action, or even dismissal.
If you’re a people manager you need to be aware of the expectations for managers. You can find these on the Connected Leaders site.
5 Key Skills
• Fully qualified accountant / Further qualification to support specialism with significant PQE (.e.g. CIMA, ACCA, IIA, CISA, ACT, CTA, MCT, IR Society Certificate or equivalent) • Ability to set long term budgets and forecasts
• A background in financial planning, reporting, analysis, consolidations and systems
• Pragmatic team player, adept at holding others to account through a challenging and supportive style, whilst consistently delivering on their own commitments
• An ability to matrix-manage cross-business teams to complex and multi-phase solutions (across technology, commercial, product and process design, network design and build).
Title: Finance Manager, FND Capex Controller
Location: GBR %26 Ireland-GBR-London-London
Requisition ID: 105074