BT Finance Manager, Regulatory Planning in London, United Kingdom
D-Level Regulatory Planning Manager
Regulatory Planning Manager
Kelvin House, 123 Judd Street, LONDON
Job role/ grade
Reports to (role)
C-Level – Senior Manager - Regulatory Finance Openreach
Why this role matters
Openreach is Britain’s digital network business. We’re a wholly owned and independently governed subsidiary of the BT Group.
We’re over 30,000 people who connect homes, mobile phone masts, schools, shops, banks, hospitals, libraries, broadcasters, governments and businesses - large and small - to the world.
Our mission is to build the best possible network, with the highest quality service, making sure that everyone in Britain can be connected. We work on behalf of more than 590 communications providers like SKY, TalkTalk, Vodafone, and BT, and our fibre broadband network is the biggest in the UK, passing more 27.4 million premises. We’re also the platform for Britain’s thriving digital economy, which is the largest in the G20.
We have an ambitious plan to deliver the better service, broader coverage and faster speeds that our customers are demanding of us. We continue to make superfast broadband speeds available to thousands of homes and businesses every week and we’re now embarking on the next big infrastructure build of our generation. We’ll be building ultrafast Fibre to the Premises technology to three million premises by the end of 2020, and we have an ambition to reach 10 million by the mid 2020s under the right conditions.
Openreach remains an important part of BT but being more independent and treating customers equally is how Openreach contributes to the success of the Group.
· Responsible for regulatory financial planning in Openreach, reporting to the Head of Regulatory finance within Openreach finance
· D Level Regulatory finance role accountable for determining the Regulatory Financial contingency required and forecasting Openreach’s regulated return on capital employed in each of the February and September forecast cycles
· The role holder will demonstrate strong analytical thinking and have responsibility and accountability for financial reporting, forecasting, planning and analysis of regulatory information that is provided to Group finance
· Responsible for Legal/fiduciary accountability and personally accountable for accounting, control and governance issues
· Will operate in a highly complex environment with high risk (potential financial or commercial impact, business unit/LOB level visibility, potential reputational impact)
What I’ll be doing
As Regulatory Planning Manager for Openreach, the role holder will be responsible for providing the regulatory financial input to the Openreach planning processes:
· Will be responsible for preparing the Regulatory contingency required in each planning cycle (February and September)
· Has accountability for updating and reviewing the Openreach ROCE (return on capital employed) forecast model
· Responsible for providing analytical support relating to OFCOM market reviews and charge controls, namely the interpretation of Openreach operational and financial data
· Help to implement OFCOM mandated regulatory reporting requirements (e.g., Duct and Pole reporting), as required through the annual RFS methodology change process
· Will provide support to competition finance for the implementation of any new methodology changes
· Supporting Group Competition finance regulatory finance transformation programmes, such as Project Arrow and any other regulatory driven process changes
· Support Regulatory Financial Statement (RFS) sign-off process at P6, P9 and P12
· Provision of accurate information in response to OFCOM Section 135 requests
· Supporting transformation and strategy projects across Openreach
The skills & experience you need
To be successful in this role you will need:
· A background in financial planning, reporting, analysis, consolidations and systems
· A knowledge of the UK telecommunications regulatory environment, and ideally an understanding of financial regulation
· Strong analytical skills, and a proven track record of working with and interpreting large complex datasets
· Pragmatic team player, adept at holding others to account through a challenging and supportive style, whilst consistently delivering on their own commitments
· An ability to manage multiple stakeholders and projects, working to tight deadlines
· An expert in their field with experience
· An ability to matrix-manage cross-business teams to complex and multi-phase solutions (across technology, commercial, product and process design, network design and build).
· Ability to manage ambiguity
· Experience of mitigating risks, implanting best practice and following strict governance procedures
· Advisor and coach to others both within own team and elsewhere, formulates their operational guidelines or in-depth knowledge and advises on specialist area
· Leads, champions and manages conflicting priorities
Data Management and Analysis
Business Case Development
Budgeting and Cost Management
· Bachelor’s degree in business or related field (or equivalent experience)
Bold decision maker
These are our values, they show us the right thing to do
We are all connected by our shared values; Personal, Simple and Brilliant. How we do things is just as important as what we do.
Everyone should be guided by our values. If you are leader, you will need to understand and demonstrate the Connected Leaders behaviours which you can find on the BT Intranet.
Other things you need to know
To protect yourself, your colleagues, our customers and BT, you must follow:
· Our ethics code, The Way We Work ;
· The Undertakings code of practice (which contains important rules about BT's promises to Ofcom);
· Our regulatory, fair trading, competition, data protection, environmental and anti-corruption and bribery policies;
· Our security policies;
· Our standards of behaviour policy;
· Our health and safety policy; and
· BT Business continuity management policy framework directive.
You have an important role in maintaining customer trust and helping BT to do business with integrity. Because working ethically is so important you must follow all laws and BT policies and procedures in the course of your employment. I f you have any questions or are unclear o n what any of our policies mean, just talk to your manager .
You can find all our policies and procedures on the BT intranet (or from your manager) – it’s up to you to keep up to date with them, including your mandatory training, and ensure you fully understand what they mean for you in your day-to-day work. If you don’t do this or if you breach any of our policies, you could face disciplinary action, or even dismissal.
If you’re a people manager you need to be aware of the expectations for managers. You can find these on the Connected Leaders site.
5 Key Skills
Bachelor’s degree in business or related field (or equivalent experience)
A background in financial planning, reporting, analysis, consolidations and systems
A knowledge of the UK telecommunications regulatory environment, and ideally an understanding of financial regulation
Strong analytical skills, and a proven track record of working with and interpreting large complex datasets
Pragmatic team player, adept at holding others to account through a challenging and supportive style, whilst consistently delivering on their own commitments
Title: Finance Manager, Regulatory Planning
Location: GBR %26 Ireland-GBR-London-London
Requisition ID: 106354